BI’s Article search uses Boolean search capabilities. If you are not familiar with these principles, here are some quick tips.
To search specifically for more than one word, put the search term in quotation marks. For example, “workers compensation”. This will limit your search to that combination of words.
To search for a combination of terms, use quotations and the & symbol. For example, “hurricane” & “loss”.
After months of in-depth evaluation, the 50 insurance industry companies to be recognized in this year's Business Insurance Best Places to Work in Insurance program have been identified.
Best Places to Work in Insurance is a joint effort of Business Insurance and the Harrisburg, Pa.-based Best Companies Group. The competition is open to all publicly or privately held property/casualty insurers, group life/health insurers, retail agents and brokers, wholesale brokers/managing general agents, reinsurance brokers, group health advisers and claims managers with at least 25 employees working in the United States and serving the commercial insurance market.
This is the third year for the Best Places to Work in Insurance program. Companies recognized this year range in size from 25 to 8,778 employees.
The 50 companies recognized this year are to be celebrated as an elite group of employers that have created high-quality workplaces that encourage employees to thrive in a work environment they can love.
Best Companies Group, an independent workplace excellence research firm that manages other regional and industry programs in the U.S. and Canada, managed the registration process, conducted the surveys, evaluated the data, and selected the firms that made the cut.
The assessment was a two-part process. Part 1—responsible for 75% of a company's score—involved a confidential employee engagement and satisfaction survey, which was used to evaluate employees' workplace experience and the company culture. The second part of the assessment, responsible for the remaining 25% of a company's score, was an employer questionnaire, which collected information about each company's benefit programs, policies, practices and other general information.
Using the two sets of data, BCG experts conducted an in-depth analysis of the strengths and opportunities at each company.
To make the Best Places to Work in Insurance list, each company had to demonstrate a minimum standard of excellence. BCG's work also involves comparative analysis of the companies on the list.
In a special report in the Nov. 7 issue, Business Insurance will reveal how the companies ranked and take a closer look at the 50 companies honored. Business Insurance also will recognize the companies and celebrate their achievement at a Nov. 1 awards luncheon in New York.
Participation in the program was free, though participating companies can purchase the BCG Employee Feedback Report summarizing the data collected in the employee survey process. In addition to the employee opinion data, the report also includes transcribed employee written comments, as well as the insurance industry benchmarking data from the participating companies.
• Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America, Lansing, Mich., Property/Casualty Insurers
• AdvoCare Group, Cleveland, Claims Managers
• Armfield, Harrison &Thomas Inc., Leesburg, Va., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Alltrust Insurance, Palm Harbor, Fla. Group Health Advisers
• AMERIND Risk Management Corp., Santa Ana Pueblo, N.M., Property/Casualty Insurers
• ARAG Insurance Co., Des Moines, Iowa, Property/Casualty Insurers
• Associated Agencies Inc., Rolling Meadows, Ill., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Assurance Agency Ltd., Schaumburg, Ill., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Avalon Risk Management, Elk Grove Village, Ill., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group L.L.C., Glen Allen, Va., Property/Casualty Insurers
• Business Benefits Group, Fairfax, Va., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Discovery Benefits Inc., Fargo, N.D., Claims Managers
• Dubraski & Associates Insurance Services L.L.C., San Diego, Retail Agents/Brokers
• Eastern Insurance Holdings Inc., Lancaster, Pa., Property/Casualty Insurers
• ECBM L.P., West Conshohocken, Pa., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Co., Salt Lake City, Group Life/Health Insurers
• Falvey Insurance Group Ltd., North Kingstown, R.I., Wholesale Brokers/MGAs
• FCCI Insurance Group, Sarasota, Fla., Property/Casualty Insurers
• Fred C. Church Inc., Lowell, Mass., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Gilsbar Inc., Covington, La., Claims Managers
• GNW-Evergreen Insurance Services L.L.C., Encino, Calif., Retail Agents/Brokers
• The Hanover Insurance Group Inc., Worcester, Mass., Property/Casualty Insurers
• Hoffman Brown Co., Sherman Oaks, Calif., Property/Casualty Insurers
• Hylant Group Inc., Toledo, Ohio, Retail Agents/Brokers
• The Insurance Exchange Inc., Rockville, Md., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Insurance Program Managers Group IPMG, St. Charles, Ill., Wholesale Brokers/MGAs
• J. Smith Lanier & Co., West Point, Ga., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Kapnick Insurance Group, Southfield, Mich., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Key Risk Insurance Co., Greensboro, N.C., Property/Casualty Insurers
• Lockton Cos. L.L.C., Kansas City, Mo., Retail Agents/Brokers
• M3 Insurance Solutions Inc., Madison, Wis., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Maiden Reinsurance Co., Mount Laurel, N.J., Reinsurance
• McGraw Wentworth, Troy, Mich. Retail, Agents/Brokers
• The MGIS Cos. Inc., Salt Lake City, Wholesale Brokers/MGAs
• Penn National Insurance, Harrisburg, Pa., Property/Casualty Insurers
• Philadelphia Insurance Cos., Bala Cynwyd, Pa., Property/Casualty Insurers
• The Plexus Groupe L.L.C., Deer Park, Ill., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Poms & Associates Insurance Brokers Inc., Woodland Hills, Calif., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Precept Group, Irvine, Calif., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Propel Insurance, Tacoma, Wash., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Ross & Yerger Insurance Inc., Jackson, Miss., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Safety National Casualty Corp., St. Louis, Property/Casualty Insurers
• Scirocco Group, Hasbrouck Heights, N.J., Retail Agents/Brokers
• Seubert & Associates Inc., Pittsburgh, Retail Agents/Brokers
• SilverStone Group, Omaha, Neb., Retail Agents/Brokers
• TIP National Inc., Oklahoma City, Wholesale Brokers/MGAs
• United Educators Insurance, a Reciprocal Retention Group, Chevy Chase, Md., Property/Casualty Insurers
• United Heartland , Milwaukee, Property/Casualty Insurers
• Unum Group, Chattanooga, Tenn., Group Life/Health Insurers
• West Bend Mutual Insurance Co., West Bend, Wis., Property/Casualty Insurers