Marriott looks to reboot loyalty plan after cyberattackPosted On: Jan. 16, 2019 12:05 PM CST
(Reuters) — Marriott International Inc. will relaunch its loyalty program under a new brand name, the company said on Wednesday, as it seeks to undo the damage to its name from a massive cyberattack that led to millions of customer records being stolen.
The world's biggest hotel chain said the new brand, Marriott Bonvoy, will replace the existing loyalty programs — Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest — integrating the three brands into one name, with the launch on Feb. 13.
The company, which owns the Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis luxury hotel brands, disclosed earlier this month that fewer than 383 million customer records were stolen in a cyberattack on its Starwood Hotels reservation system.
Marriott has phased out the Starwood reservations database after it acquired the hotel chain for $13.6 billion in September 2016. The hack began in 2014, a year before Marriott offered to buy Starwood.