Best Places to Work in Insurance 2014: Small EmployersPosted On: Sep. 28, 2014 12:00 AM CST
Providing a great place to work is a key factor in attracting and retaining the brightest talent prospects, and Business Insurance honored a record 75 insurance industry employers that have created an environment in which people thrive and enjoy their work, making the companies the 2014 Best Places to Work in Insurance.
A total of 54 small employers were recognized. Following is the full list:
Atlas General Insurance Services L.L.C. is a San Diego-based full-service general insurance agency/broker with 92 employees working to offer a wide range of insurance solutions with expertise in developing and underwriting specialty programs with a wide variety of insurer partners. Among the top small firms, Atlas offers its employees:
• Employee events including company picnic, company day watching the horses race at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, an annual company paintball tournament, company happy hours and catered company lunches.
• Masseuses brought in for free massages during busy insurance quarters.
• Sponsorship of all employee causes, including charities, benefit walks/races, food drives, sponsoring families for the holidays, charity golf tournaments and charity poker tournaments.
• During the holiday season, all employees are given a bonus based on their tenure and efforts on achieving different goals met throughout the year.
• Special recognition — monetary awards and cards — based on tenure milestones, such as one-year anniversary.
• On-site personal development and/or stress management workshops.
McGraw Wentworth Inc., a unit of Marsh & McLennan Agency L.L.C., is a Troy, Michigan-based benefits broker and consulting firm that assists midsize Michigan organizations of 100 to 10,000 workers with group benefits design, health care cost reduction, health and productivity improvement programs, and implementation and management of group benefits plans. It offers its 86 employees:
• An annual longevity bonus program that rewards more than 50 nonmanagement employees for their years of service using a formula that factors in each employee's tenure and pay scale. In 2013, a total of $360,000 was awarded.
• Work from home program including remote computer access to company files and email.
• Eight-week Summer Fun employee appreciation program including Jeans Mondays, “Leave Two Hours Early” days, free chair massages and treats prepared by company founders.
• Volunteer activities such as “Team Community Service Day” at a local food bank.
• New-employee referral award of $1,500, payable in two installments.
• Free weekly yoga class, conducted on-site by a licensed yoga instructor.
ARAG Insurance Co. is a Des Moines, Iowa-based global provider of legal solutions protecting employees' well-being and workplace productivity through group legal insurance benefits. A top small employer, ARAG offers its 154 worldwide employees:
• “Exceptional” benefits that include low health care premiums that cover the entire family.
• All team members working a minimum of 30 hours a week are eligible for annual incentive program targeted at 7.5% to 50% of base salary. Incentive is based on corporate performance and multipliers for exceeding corporate performance metrics.
• Family-oriented, fun and flexible culture that puts the employee first.
• Comprehensive wellness program with a variety of programs and incentives.
• Annual $500 college savings match per dependent, and tuition reimbursements and extra education incentives for employees.
Avalon Risk Management Insurance Agency L.L.C. is an Elk Grove Village, Illinois-based privately held retail agent/broker that specializes in the transportation and logistics industry. With nine offices in the U.S. and a network of agents worldwide, it employs 123 people. Avalon is a small employer that offers its workers:
• Employee Appreciation Day, when the company president provides company updates and the company celebrate employee birthdays, anniversaries and milestones. Employees hear directly from the president and can ask questions in advance or in a “town hall” format.
• Company events including a company picnic, holiday party, annual sales and management meetings, Halloween decorating and costume extravaganza, potlucks, sports celebrations and “craziest fan” contests.
• Flexible work schedules when needed; a generous paid time off policy with 11 paid holidays, birthday and anniversary benefit, vacation time and personal time. Avalon also offers early dismissal before a holiday so employees can finish prep or start travel plans.
• “Avalon Dollars” are awarded to employees for performance, accomplishments, and milestones. They can be used for on-site fitness classes, Weight Watchers fees, Avalon clothing, chair massages, gift cards and more.
Cambridge Consulting Group is a Troy, Michigan-based benefit broker and consultant that focuses on wealth strategies, benefits consulting and risk management. In 2013, it moved to the 10th spot from 39th place in the small employer category. Its 53 employees enjoy benefits that include:
• An annual employee barbecue, employee outings and a holiday party, complete with a gift exchange.
• Rewards for wellness initiatives and challenges that include Fitbit pedometer devices, gym reimbursements, athletic wear and healthy lunches.
• Flexible start times between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m.
• Paid time off to volunteer at a place of the employee's choice during Volunteer Week.
• Bagel Fridays, fresh fruit on Mondays and a sundae bar in the summer.
Dubraski & Associates Insurance Services L.L.C. is San Diego-based privately held independent insurance brokerage and consulting company that specializes in providing unbiased solutions to the health care industry across all lines of business. In the small company category, it offers its 30 employees:
• Flexible work schedules with the opportunity to work from home.
• Days off for community involvement.
• Destination and poolside all-employee company meetings. The 2013 employee meeting included social time and a hula hoop contest.
• Discretionary bonuses.
• Gift cards issued for birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions.
The Simkiss Cos. are a Paoli, Pennsylvania-based leading supplier of risk management, insurance, bonding and financial services to all types of organizations both large and small. While the largest practice is now commercial property/casualty insurance brokerage, the firm was founded 50 years ago as a surety brokerage operation and still specialize in this area as one of the largest independent surety brokers in the country. It offers its 33 employees:
• Free lunch every day for all employees.
• Flexible work schedules and time off for family events and unique circumstances.
• Company tickets for employees to attend professional sports and arts venues with family.
• Companywide luncheon at local restaurants and special holiday functions.
• Up to $1,000 to help fund employees' out-of-pocket health costs incurred by those who choose the high-deductible health care plan.
• Cocktail hours after work.
A small Tampa, Florida-based firm, Baldwin Krystyn Sherman Partners, or BKS-Partners, is an independent privately owned insurance and risk management firm serving affluent individuals and families, professionals, entrepreneurs and growing businesses. Expertise includes private risk management, commercial risk management, employee benefits, and wellness and safety programs. BKS-Partners offers its 67 employees a mixed bag of perks, including:
• Semiannual bonuses.
• Casual-For-A-Cause Fridays, when colleagues donate money to charity to “dress down” every week, and casual Mondays for exceeding quarterly goals.
• Health and vitality seminars and workshops taught by the director of wellness engineering. Topics range from stress management and yoga to identity theft, self-defense, “Financial Statements 101” and nutrition.
• Two hours per month of paid time off for community service, allowing colleagues to volunteer in the community during normal business hours.
• Ownership opportunities, with employees becoming shareholders of the firm by becoming managing advisers.
Energi Insurance Services Inc. is a Peabody, Massachusetts-based wholesale broker/managing general agent that offers core property/casualty products and related risk management services, primarily to customers that operate in various segments of the energy industry. For its 174 employees, the firm offers:
• A flexible summer schedule.
• Complimentary daily healthy breakfasts and snacks.
• The opportunity for all headquarter-based employees to join the Premiere North Shore Fitness Club or a club closer to home and receive reimbursement for membership up to $50 monthly. Remote employees are offered $50 monthly reimbursement for health club membership.
• Raffles for complimentary sports and concert tickets.
• Company-paid entry fee for employees who participate in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge Road Race and custom athletic shirts.
ABD Insurance & Financial Services Inc. is a San Mateo, California-based independently owned and operated insurance and financial services brokerage providing individuals and businesses with risk and reward consulting in employee benefits, 401(k) services, wellness, risk management, property/casualty, directors and officers, and personal insurance. Appearing for the first time in the small firms category, ABD offers it 18 employees:
• Wellness program that provides FitBit fitness tracking devices for all employees.
• Casual dress and relaxed atmosphere.
• Themed lunches, including summer barbecue, Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day. Summer events and anniversary parties.
• Complimentary stocked refrigerator.
• Referral bonuses.
FirstPerson Inc. is an Indianapolis-based professional advisory firm that creates holistic employee experiences through customized business solutions including benefits, wellness, human resources, branded communication, compliance, data analytics and compensation. Employing 53 workers, it offers:
• At least six weeks of paid time off annually with regular vacations, gifted time off and nearly a dozen paid holidays.
• In-house fitness sessions, community impact projects, nutritional “lunch-and-learns” and leadership development opportunities.
• A break room fully stocked with free healthy snacks, items for breakfast and lunch, and ingredients for smoothies.
• Two annual celebrations, a summer event and a holiday party, where the office closes so all team members can participate, allowing for interactions across all teams that work to strengthen relationships throughout the company.
• Goal-oriented bonuses.
SilverStone Group is an Omaha, Nebraska-based retail agent/broker resource management firm that provides tailored solutions to protect and enhance clients' organizational and financial stability. Its offerings include risk management, employee benefits, consulting and private-client services. Offerings for its 206 employees include:
• Flexible schedules.
• Robust wellness program that sponsors a weekly farmers market during the summer in the parking lot and Fitbit fitness tracker competitions.
• If requested, a “standing” work desk to encourage movement.
• Complimentary healthy snacks daily.
• Free annual health screenings.
• Teammates-mentoring program with time spent mentoring, including travel time, paid. Over 10% of employees are involved.
• Subsidized memberships at the zoo and various museums.
BMS Intermediaries Inc. is an Edina, Minnesota-based specialist reinsurance broker insurance group built around teams of experts in the fields of wholesale, direct insurance and underwriting subsidiary businesses. For its 76 employees, its benefits package includes:
• Daily free snacks and beverages and free catered meals on a regular basis.
• Paid time off to volunteer.
• Company-sponsored Olympics, fiestas, holiday parties, March Madness and monthly “lunch and learns.”
• Fitness classes, such as Zumba, and regular chair massages.
• Annual “fun day away” employee outing, such as boating trips.
• Up to $750 in company matching funds for employee contributions to approved charities of their choice when the employee also volunteers 30 hours of community service with the charity.
GFI Insurance Brokerage Inc. is a New York-based retail agent/broker that provides customized insurance solutions nationwide to businesses and individuals, focusing on property/casualty insurance and employee benefits, multiperil coverage, liability, business interruption, and auto and homeowners insurance. Employee benefits include group health, life, disability and workers compensation. Highlights of its benefits program for its 38 employees include:
• Regular company-sponsored events including bowling nights, picnics and happy hours.
• Holiday parties with seated dinner, open bar, entertainment and employee recognition awards.
• Flexible summer Friday hours; on a rotational basis, employees can leave at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Fridays throughout the summer.
• Community events such as a “Movember Challenge” where the men of the company compete every November to grow the best mustache, with proceeds donated to prostate cancer research.
• Free pizza lunches throughout the year.
Kapnick Insurance Group is an Adrian, Michigan-based retail agent/broker providing business insurance, employee benefits, personal insurance, risk management and financial strategies to a diverse base of clients worldwide. Benefit highlights for its 130 employees include:
• A multifaceted wellness program that offers employees an annual cash-incented health risk assessment, a biometric screening, “Couch to 5K” challenges, and regular nutritional “lunch-and-learn” programs.
• On-site fitness classes at some offices.
• An employee referral program.
• A corporate fun event every third Thursday.
• Paid holiday on birthdays.
• Regular chair massages offered at $1 a minute per massage.
Based in St. Charles, Illinois, Insurance Program Managers Group Inc., or IPMG, is a broker/agent that develops self-funded programs for specific industries, including public entities and senior care services. It specializes in cost-containment strategies and controls via claims management and employee benefits services. It offers its 16 employees:
• A total of 20 paid-time off days, 13 paid holidays, birthdays off and early dismissal of 3 p.m. prior to holidays and on certain summer days.
• Access to healthy lunches, free fruit daily and on-site fitness center with showers.
• On-site health screenings.
• In its third year, all employees receive a $1,000 or $500 bonus at the annual Christmas party.
• On-site bicycle rental to enjoy nearby bike path.
• Mentoring and job-shadowing opportunities.
Benefits Resource L.L.C. is an Aliso Viejo, California-based benefit broker and consultant for health- and welfare-related companies. Its wellness solutions increase health and productivity and reduce absenteeism to optimize clients' investments. The firm offers key benefits for its 33 employees that include:
• Regular bonuses that celebrate milestones, productivity, and profits.
• Company events, such as poker Fridays, birthday lunches and companywide annual trips.
• Employee contributions into health savings accounts for future medical costs.
• Company retreats and volunteer opportunities and outings.
• Flexible work schedule and every other Friday off in summertime third quarter.
• Paid-time off to volunteer.
• Wellness competitions for paid-time off prizes and $100 gift cards.
AdvoCare Group is a Cleveland-based group of claims managers specializing in comprehensive case management for workers compensation, disability, disease and wellness services for workplace absence management. For its 77 employees, it offers:
• On-site health events including table massages and acupuncture.
• End-of-year bonuses.
• Paid time off “donation bank” providing a platform for on-site fundraisers coordinated by employees and supported by the company through paid time off raffles.
• “Denim donations” program that allows employees to wear jeans for $1 a day or $50 up-front for one day a week for the entire year, with all proceeds donated to charity.
• Work hours and resources for employees to create blankets and care packages to the Soldiers' Angels, which provides aid and comfort to the men and women of the U.S. military branches and their families.
• Up to $30 off every employee's monthly health insurance premium based on an annual biometric screening.
• On-site conveniences such as dry cleaning and breakfast/lunch delivery, organic groceries delivery, library and postage.
The Odell Studner Group L.L.C. is a Radnor, Pennsylvania-based retail agent/broker with specialties in life sciences and technology, group captives and alternative risk transfer, health care, real estate, social services and for temporary staffing and professional employer organizations. A range of benefits offered to its 48 employees include:
• Flexible schedules for doctor visits, family obligations and other events.
• Breakfast for the entire staff to celebrate all new employees and lunches brought in for the entire staff on cleanup days, major holidays and extreme-weather days.
• Leaving early four Fridays each summer — employee's choice.
• Holiday potlucks and summer and holiday parties.
• Bonuses for employee referrals and performance.
• Company profit sharing.
• Odell pays 100 % of health premium for employees and families in select plans.
Associated Agencies Inc. is a 124-year-old full-service retail agent/broker based in Rolling Meadows, Illinois, that helps businesses and individuals with property/casualty, employee benefits and individual benefit needs. It handles all lines of coverage from basic insurance to complex programs with professional liability needs. It offers its 72 employees:
• Health club cost reimbursement and annual wellness challenges and opportunities with prizes, seminars, free yoga and employee-sponsored walks and hikes.
• Summertime half-day Fridays between Memorial and Labor days.
• Paid time off to volunteer as a group and individually.
• Annual bonuses and profit sharing opportunities.
• Free annual flu shots.
The Plexus Groupe L.L.C. is a Deer Park, Illinois-based boutique retail agent/broker providing risk management consulting, insurance brokerage and value-added services to commercial enterprises. Employing 79 individuals, perks include:
• Flexible work hours and arrangements, including telecommuting for employees in its three offices nationwide.
• Annual holiday parties and picnics.
• Annual “Oscar” award events for high-performing employees.
• Annual off-site two-day employee team-building event.
• Summer walking program and a year-round “walking” workstation that allows workers to use a treadmill.
The Insurance Exchange Inc. is a Rockville, Maryland-based retail agent/broker providing comprehensive property/casualty, workers compensation, professional liability, fiduciary coverage, bonds and personal insurance, along with a full range of employee benefits, retirement and investing services. It offers its 35 employees such benefits as:
• Twice-a-year merit bonuses.
• Paid time off to volunteer at various functions for different charities as part of the company's Corporate Responsibility Program.
• Flexible scheduling with a telecommuting option.
• Periodic free lunches and ice cream socials.
• Holiday party, “Crab Feast” and annual company sporting events.
• Free afternoon of bowling for employees and their families.
• Educational assistance.
American Integrity Insurance Group is a Tampa, Florida-based property insurance agent/broker providing value-added innovative products to Florida residents and businesses through a network of independent agencies. It offers its 108 employees a variety of benefits including:
• Annual family picnic and holiday party.
• On-site game room including pool table, air hockey, ping pong and darts.
• Access to a Zen room with chair massages.
• Monthly health and wellness events including yoga, health screenings, “lunch-and-learns” and more.
• Pay-for-Performance Plan providing eligible underwriting, sales, and customer service department workers a monthly cash incentive based on performance against goals.
Falvey Insurance Group Ltd. is a North Kingstown, Rhode Island-based wholesale broker/managing agent specializing in marine cargo cover for the high-tech and life science industries. It is the largest cargo coverholder facility under Lloyd's of London with approximately $40 million in gross written premiums. With 56 people in offices in North Kingstown, Long Island, San Francisco, and Seattle, it offers its employees:
• Complimentary fresh fruit along with water, coffee, tea and soft drinks.
• An in-house fitness facility and shower rooms.
• A 5% bonus based on achievement of individual goals set at the beginning of each year.
• Wellness challenges such as healthy eating challenges. Prizes include paid-time off.
• Annual summer company events at such resort destinations as Newport, Rhode Island and Block Island, Rhode Island.
• In-house seminars held on a regular basis for continuing education credit.
Liazon Corp. is a Buffalo, New York-based private benefits broker and consultant for businesses across the U.S. Its Bright Choices exchange is an online benefits store that helps employers and employees buy benefits. Bright Choices helps employers save money on their health care costs by setting predictable budgets while guiding employees to purchase better health, dental, vision, life and disability benefits. The small agent/broker firm offers its 142 employees:
• Unlimited paid personal and vacation days as needed for employees who “need to refresh.”
• Monthly birthday potlucks.
• Paid time off to volunteer.
• Free snacks.
• Annual employee bonuses.
Safeware, The Insurance Agency Inc. is a 32-year-old, Dublin, Ohio-based agent/broker and third-party administrator offering two distinct types of robust protections solutions — insurance and extended warranty — to both individuals and businesses giving customers and partners the flexibility to select or customize a program that is the most beneficial for their product or for their customer. It offers its 39 employees:
• Opportunities to participate on company sports teams, including softball and kickball.
• Company happy hours.
• Annual summer, holiday and Halloween events.
• Health and wellness programs including contests for walking.
• A “Safeware Core Cash Program” that recognizes the daily accomplishments of team members with cash prizes.
AH&T Insurance is a Leesburg, Virginia-based employee-owned insurance brokerage, risk management consulting, employee benefits, surety bond and retirement planning services agent/broker that provides innovative solutions globally for business and individuals. With offices in Leesburg, Chicago, Seattle and Newark, New Jersey, it offers its 152 employees such benefits as:
• Telecommuting option.
• On-site yoga classes and other wellness initiatives.
• Sponsorship and support for charitable team events such as Relay for Life 5K and various mud runs.
• Annual golf tournament at Leesburg and Seattle locations.
• “Denim Fridays” collecting $5 from each participating employee, with proceeds going to local charities selected by the employees.
NFP Maschino, Hudelson & Associates is an Oklahoma City-based agent/broker providing benefits solutions, insight, and compliance and regulatory support, helping to create optimal value for businesses and working to design benefits and communications strategies that recruit and retain the best employees possible. For its own 35 employees, it offers:
• Flexible work schedules.
• Quarterly bonuses.
• Rewards-driven wellness programs that includes customized monthly seminars, online educational resources, and quarterly challenges with a tracking programs that credits activities throughout the year.
• Discounted gym memberships at Gold's Gym.
• Ping pong table in employee lounge.
• A Christmas Club for employees to save money for the holidays via an after-tax payroll deduction.
Alternative Service Concepts L.L.C. is a Nashville, Tennessee-based firm working as a workers compensation and property/casualty third-party administrator specializing in both private- and public-sector claims. With 128 employees, it touts such benefits as:
• Early closings prior to holidays.
• Flexible work day including telecommuting option.
• Quarterly bonuses.
• Holiday functions, ice cream parlor days and pizza parties.
• Annual fraud training and continuing educational opportunities, whether required for licensing or to gain additional skill sets.
• “SHINE” awards of $25 given to employees who are nominated for going above and beyond their normal job responsibilities.
Berkley North Pacific Group L.L.C. is a Bellevue, Washington-based regional property/casualty insurer unit of W.R. Berkley Corp. The unit provides a variety of commercial property/casualty coverage to meet needs of businesses in the Pacific Northwest. Among the benefits offers to for its 106 employees are:
• Company-sponsored wellness activates, volunteer opportunities and events such as summer picnic, holiday parties and potlucks.
• Themed Poker and Scrabble walks to encourage walking at break times.
• Unique events such as Xbox Kinect tournaments to benefit United Way.
• Tickets to local events such as sporting events.
• Flexible schedules and benefits for part-time employees, which employees have used in anticipation of retirement.
Benefit Controls Cos. is an employee benefits consulting firm headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, with seven locations and working exclusively in the health and welfare sector for mid-market employers with 50 to 3,000 employees. In addition to employee benefit plan consulting, Benefit Controls provides consulting for wellness programs, human resources and compliance and technology solutions for online enrollment of employees. It offers its own 60 employees such benefits as:
• Flexible working hours.
• Sponsored employee lunches every month.
• Annual beach trip outing for employees and their clients.
• Regular company outings to ball games and other activities.
• On-site yoga classes and walking trails.
MJ Insurance Inc. is an Indianapolis-based property/casualty and employee benefits agency that, since 1964, has grown from a two-person startup to an agency with 124 employees in Indiana and Arizona. It specializes in a diverse selection of unique service lines including construction, energy, transportation, real estate, manufacturing, sororities and mining. MJ Insurance also offers complete employee benefit programs including major medical, group disability, group life and on-site employer clinics. Among its employee benefits highlights are:
• Summer hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day, giving every nonproducer every other Friday afternoon off.
• Made-to-order omelet breakfasts on-site twice a year.
• A “fitness fridge” stocked with healthy items such as fruit, yogurt, cheese and juice, available to associates at cost via payroll deduction.
• Fifteen hours of volunteer service time for associates to use serving others, either at their child's school to chaperone or participate in a school program or to volunteer at another charitable organization.
• A “Crisis PTO Bank” providing employees paid time off — over the allotted paid time off provided annually —to care for a loved one or for personal health reasons.
HNI Risk Services Inc. is a New Berlin, Wisconsin-based retail agent/broker and risk management firm that has three core offerings: insurance, benefits and advisory. It has clients in most industries but focuses on transportation, construction, manufacturing, retail and the public sectors. Benefits highlights for its 114 employees include:
• Employee bonuses.
• On-site yoga room, Zumba classes and ping pong table.
• Compressed workweeks with early dismissal on Fridays.
• Ability to donate money to charity to wear jeans on Fridays and Wednesdays.
• Choice of six health care plans.
• A wellness incentive of up to $1,000 annually based upon completion of healthy results and wellness activities.
Gunn-Mowery L.L.C. is a Camp Hill, Pennsylvania-based independent retail agent/broker providing commercial and personal insurance, employee benefits, bonds, captive insurance and financial services. Highlights in its benefits offerings for its 68 employees include:
• On-site well-equipped company gym available to all employees and their family members.
• An annual holiday party and/or summer picnic.
• Free beverages including coffee, tea, hot chocolate, filtered water, birthday cakes and luncheons.
• Early close on holiday weekends.
• Business-casual dress every day and casual dress on Fridays.
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group L.L.C. is a Glen Allen, Virginia-based regional insurance provider offering commercial property/casualty coverage solely through independent agents in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington, D.C. It offers its 212 employees such benefits as:
• Flextime with typical ranges between 6:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m., though employees with unique situations may request an alternative schedule that best suits their needs and the needs of company.
• Telecommuting opportunities.
• Bring Child to Work/Employee Appreciation day offering morning activities for families followed by picnic and the afternoon off.
• Holiday luncheon — an off-site catered event with the afternoon off.
• Summer hours: Work an extra hour Monday through Thursday and leave at noon on Fridays.
• Eight hours annually of paid time off to volunteer at 501(c)(3) organization.
• The company pays for expenses related to continuing education and provides bonuses and/or salary increases upon achievement or designations.
Seubert & Associates Inc. is a Pittsburgh-based independent retail agent/broker that supports clients with their day-to-day risk management through consulting and providing brokerage services, and underwrites $150 million in premium annually. Products include commercial and personal property/casualty insurance, employee benefits, surety bonds and life insurance. Seubert & Associates specializes in construction, contractors, transportation, manufacturers, energy, school districts, social services and advanced technology firms. Benefits highlights for its 79 employees include:
• Tuition assistance.
• A key performance indicator goal-setting program for employees. Employees sit with their managers and lists three goals; those who complete their goals by the end of October receive a $1,000 bonus at the end of the year.
• “10-Year Milestone” award providing employees with a gold pen and $10,000 in stock for their 10-year anniversary.
• Free healthy snacks including fresh fruit, nuts and whole grains.
• Stock eligibility based on production and/or 10-year tenure.
• Company pays entry fee for any employee who participates in a Seubert-sponsored 5K run or walk.
Precept Insurance Solutions L.L.C. is an Irvine, California-based national benefits broker and consultant that provides employee benefits consulting and administration outsourcing services engaging senior management, employees, dependents, physicians, hospitals and insurers in efforts that aim to improve quality of life, avoids and manages costs, and positively drives bottom-line business results. Its 160 employees enjoy such benefits as:
• Bonus programs that include an incentive for nonsales employees.
• Employer-paid on-site annual biometric screenings and flu shots.
• Healthy breakfasts and wellness challenges sponsored by the wellness committee.
• An employee recognition program providing financial incentives quarterly to recognized employees in the areas of individual service excellence and leadership and team service excellence.
• Employee-sponsored charity events such as Team in Training events for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the Camp Pendleton Mud Run, CHOC Walk, and Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.
Scirocco Group is a Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey-based retail agent/broker with over 60 years of experience providing full-service risk analysis and risk management services for clients in the construction, real estate, manufacturing, retail/wholesale distribution, public entity and transportation sectors. Perks for its 107 employees include:
• Early dismissal on Fridays during the summer.
• Support for charity fundraising.
• Impromptu surprise raffles that include free vacations, event tickets and gift baskets.
• Smoothie Day in the employee café.
• Regular employee recognition breakfasts or luncheons that serve to recognize and celebrate achievements of the entire organization.
• Employees may wear denim on Fridays in exchange for donations to charities.
Sterling Health Services Administration is an Oakland, California-based small retail/brokerage firm offering administration services for health savings accounts, health reimbursement accounts, flexible-spending accounts, patient online portholes, and COBRA. Sterling has expertise in compliance services that include ERISA Wrap, Form 5500 filing, nondiscrimination testing and requirements under the Patient Protection Affordable Care Act. Benefits highlights for its 65 employees include:
• Flexible work schedules
• Ten-year anniversary of the company, with the entire staff going to Hawaii.
• Annual bonus recognition based on performance metric measurements. All employees are eligible for bonuses once per year, as nominated by executive management.
• Salad lunches on Mondays, vegetables on Tuesdays, smoothies on Wednesdays, breakfast on Thursdays, and farmers' market fruits and vegetables on Fridays.
Pritchard & Jerden Inc. is an Atlanta-based retail agent/broker that caters to a variety of individual clients' needs. It is a company that values and requires continuing professional education. It employs 74 individuals and offers:
• Flexible schedules that include a compressed workweek in the summer.
• Monthly walking challenges and access to an online wellness program called GlobalFit.
• Monthly snack days and quarterly lunches such as a chili cook-off and college football tailgate lunch.
• Annual bonus for exempt, nonproduction Employee of the Year, based on company and individual performance.
• Events organized by the Employee Club, including ice cream socials, chair massages, and movie or game days at lunch.
MarketScout is a Dallas-based wholesale broker/managing general agent with specialty expertise in many areas, including workers compensation, high-valued homeowners, energy, life and health insurance, professional liability, and excess and surplus lines. MarketScout has offices in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington, D.C. Its 62 employees enjoy such benefits as:
• 100% company-paid fitness center for employees.
• Weekly “lunch-and-learns.”
• Flip-flop Fridays.
• Business educational workshops and mentoring programs.
• Team-building events such as horse races, kickball, bowling, whirlyball, and monthly and quarterly team lunches.
• Annual family holiday parties and celebrations, including a Halloween costume contest and group birthday lunches.
• Employment anniversary recognition/awards and celebrations.
Hoffman Brown Co. is a Sherman Oaks, California-based retail agent/broker providing large and small companies and individuals with commercial, personal, life, group and individual medical, long-term care and disability insurance. For its 47 employees, it offers:
• Annual holiday party luncheon that includes spouses/significant others that is held at a country club and features food, entertainment, games and prizes.
• Absentee bonus program with monetary rewards for employees with good attendance.
• Super Head Hunter program rewarding teammates $500 for the hire of their referral who completes 90 days of employment.
• Wellness program paying 50% of membership up to $175 annually for activities that include gym, bowling, baseball, karate and yoga.
• Employees who are TV game show contestants get paid for the day off.
• Programs include financial education and retirement planning.
• “Lunch-and-learn” educational sessions, group walks to Yogurtland for an afternoon snack and healthy snacks in the office.
• Ted Talks Tuesdays, a monthly get-together at lunchtime to view inspirational videos on various topics. All videos are suggested by employees.
The Partners Group Ltd. is a Portland, Oregon-based independent agent/broker with services that include employee benefit consulting, risk management, wealth management, commercial and personal insurance. It offers its 115 employees such perks as:
• Annual overnight off-site retreat.
• Office lunches and office coffee carts
• Competitive health care program that offers wellness points that equal cash towards employee health care costs.
• Company contributes $25 toward cost of a charity walk/run for up to $50 per employee per year.
• Eight hours of paid community service time per employee per quarter.
• Access to a walking workstation and standing workstation.
• Employee of the Year Award awarded at annual off-site retreat and voted on by employees. Winner receives a gift certificate and plaque.
The MGIS Cos. Inc. is a Salt Lake City-based wholesale broker/managing general agent that designs and administers specialized group short- and long-term disability insurance for physicians, medical professionals and physician office employees and medical professional liability coverage. Benefits for its 63 team members include:
• Every other Friday off and telecommuting opportunities.
• Department-sponsored break times.
• A wellness program for all employees and their spouses and health coaching for employees, including a Biggest Loser competition.
• Alternative treatment benefit that includes massages and nutritional supplements.
• Employee recognition at the department level that consists of spot rewards such as movie tickets and gift certificates.
Wine Sergi & Co. L.L.C. is a Naperville, Illinois-based agent/broker providing a full range of services ranging from basic business insurance to highly sophisticated risk management and loss control services for a diverse clientele. The firm also offers expertise in developing industry-specific solutions. Its 33 employees enjoy such perks as:
• Summer hours and flextime.
• Bagels every Friday and fruit for the office.
• Participation in charity run/walk events.
• A 2.5 % Shared Success Bonus for client service team bringing in new business.
• Employee referral bonus of $1,000.
• Wellness program and flu shots.
Fred C. Church Inc. is a Lowell, Massachusetts-based retail agent/broker offering services that include commercial property/casualty insurance, risk management, self-insurance programs, employee benefits and personal insurance. Among the highlights for its 126 employees are:
• A 35-hour workweek.
• Stock options plan.
• Ten personal days off in addition to 12 paid vacation days over the annual vacation allotment: three weeks off after five years; four weeks after 10 years; and five weeks after 20 years.
• On-site office visits for chiropractic treatment, flu shots and financial planning.
• Frequent employee raffles for various events, such as sporting events and theater/arts performances.
• Weight loss challenges.
Networked Insurance Agents Inc. is a Grass Valley, California-based agent/broker connecting independent property/casualty agencies to leading markets and service resources to help them reach their full potential. Its 103 employees enjoy such perks as:
• Periodic lunch celebrations with barbecued and/or catered food and ice cream socials.
• Having a Spirit Committee to plan fun events for the staff.
• Holiday party and $100 holiday bonus.
• Paid day off and gift card prizes for exceptional performance.
• Biggest Loser weight loss challenge for cash prize.
• Annual on-site health fair with prizes and giveaways.
Tampa-based Matrixx Healthcare Services Inc., dba myMatrixx is an agent/broker providing pharmacy benefit management and ancillary services focused on workers compensation. The firm serves self-insured employers, third-party administrators and managed care companies, as well as workers compensation and auto insurance companies. It employs 196 individuals, offering such benefits as:
• Chair massages.
• Performance contests where employees who meet or exceed their goals are eligible for gift cards or sports tickets.
• Fitness challenges throughout the year.
• Regular company outings and social gatherings.
• Employees can dress casually in return for a charitable donation.
ALPS Corp. is a Missoula, Montana-based insurer/provider that partners with lawyers, law firms, bar associations and bar foundations to provide services and resources that further the advancement of the legal profession. It offers its 61 employees such perks as:
• Workplace flexibility to juggle life demands and family needs.
• Generous benefits structure, both in amount and flexibility, including paid time off, carryover of up to 240 hours of paid time off, and 401(k) match (6% dollar for dollar).
• “ALPS Extra Miles” peer recognition program, whereby employees recognize the good works of others by giving “miles” that are redeemable for awards.
• Jeans Friday once a month for a $5 donation, with all proceeds given to an employee-nominated nonprofit organization.
• Business development incentives for sales staff: 10% commission on new business over $50,000 annually.
• Teams for community fitness events such as the Missoula Marathon, the Dirty Dash, the Heart Walk, the Race for the Cure and Bowl for Kid's Sake.
• Monthly company-sponsored pizza party.