Login Register Subscribe
Current Issue

Show’s over for Cody Gunfighters after insurers decline coverage

Reprints

For the Cody Gunfighters, one of Wyoming’s most popular gunfighter demonstrations, not having insurance is a showstopper.

Following a mishap last year when three spectators were accidentally shot with live lead-ball rounds from a gun chamber that was supposed to be empty, the Cody City Council voted in April to allow the continuation of the nightly show, per a list of safety conditions, the Cody Enterprise newspaper reported on Wednesday.

One of those conditions was liability insurance — likely a tough sell given the show’s recent history.

Tom Moore, Cody Gunfighters’ secretary/treasurer, told a reporter that they tried to acquire liability insurance for their performances but that no company would insure them. 

“We can’t get insurance, so no gunfight,” Mr. Moore told the newspaper. “We’re all very disappointed.”

Mr. Moore said he is hopeful the inability to get insurance isn’t a permanent problem and perhaps in the future the show could go on, the Cody Enterprise reported.

“We just don’t know,” he told a reporter. “The city requires us to have liability insurance, so we’re up a creek.”

According to the Powell Tribune newspaper, police in July 2016 reported that three tourists — two men and a 3-year-old child — were hit and suffered relatively minor injuries.