Panel of judges selected 2014 benefits management honoreesReprints
Business Insurance created the Benefit Manager of the Year® award in 2005 to recognize excellence and innovation in employee benefits management. In 2010, the Benefit Management Honor Roll® was added to honor other outstanding benefits professionals. Honorees are selected by a panel of independent judges that includes the previous year's winner and benefits experts. Judges for the 2014 awards are:
DR. A. MARK FENDRICK, director of the University of Michigan's Center for Value-Based Insurance Design and a professor at the university.
MATTHEW C. HARMON, benefits delivery and retirement director for J.C. Penney Co. Inc. and the 2013 Benefit Manager of the Year®.
CRAIG HASDAY, chief operating officer of Frenkel Benefits L.L.C.
BRIAN KLEPPER, CEO of the National Business Coalition on Health.
JOHN M. WIRTSHAFTER, a member of law firm McDonald Hopkins L.L.C. and immediate past president of the Worldwide Employee Benefits Network.
The judges scored each nominee, according to how well he or she:
• Innovatively and effectively applied benefits programs to solve major problems for his or her organization.
• Exhibited leadership in achieving change within his or her organization.
• Skillfully used technology to administer benefits programs and/or identify and address major problems such as health care cost drivers.
• Established and/or led an effective benefits communication strategy to effectively inform employees of benefits program changes.
• Developed in his or her career and promoted the advancement of the benefits profession.