A record 65 insurance industry companies are being recognized in this year's Business Insurance Best Places to Work in Insurance program.
Best Places to Work is a joint effort of Business Insurance and the Harrisburg, Pa.-based Best Companies Group. The competition, which involves months of in-depth evaluation, is open to all publicly or privately held property/casualty insurers, group life/health insurers, retail agents and brokers, wholesale brokers/managing general agents, reinsurers, reinsurance brokers, benefits brokers and advisers and claims managers with at least 25 employees in the United States and serving the commercial insurance market.
This is the fourth year for the Best Places to Work in Insurance program. Companies recognized this year range in size from 26 to 8,445 employees.
The 65 companies recognized this year have created high-quality workplaces. These companies create a work environment in which employees can thrive and enjoy doing so. Companies recognized this year offer traditional benefits such as bonuses and mentoring programs but go the extra step to provide employees with less-traditional benefits. These include biggest loser weight-loss challenges, raffles for charity and even on-site happy hours.
Best Companies Group, an independent workplace excellence research firm that manages other industry and regional programs in the United States and Canada, managed the registration process, conducted the surveys, evaluated the data and selected the firms chosen as Best Places to Work in Insurance.
The assessment involved a two-part process. One part, responsible for 75% of a company's score, involved a confidential employee engagement and satisfaction survey, which was used to evaluate employees' workplace experience and the company's culture. The other part, which was responsible for the remaining 25% of the score, consisted of an employer questionnaire, which collected information about each company's benefit programs, policies practices and other general information.
Strengths, opportunities analyzed
The BCG experts use the two sets of data to conduct an in-depth analysis of the strengths and opportunities at each company. Each company has to demonstrate a minimum standard of excellence to earn a spot on the list of Best Places to Work in Insurance. There is no automatic in — even if a company is the only one registered in its category, it must meet the criteria. BCG's work also involves comparative analysis of the companies on the list.
Business Insurance will reveal how the companies ranked and take a closer look at the 65 companies honored in a special report in the Oct. 22 issue. Business Insurance also will recognize the companies and celebrate their achievement in an Oct. 16 awards luncheon in Chicago.
Participation in the program was free, although participating companies can buy the BCG Employee Feedback Report summarizing the data collected in the employee survey process.
In addition to the employee opinion, the report includes transcribed employee written comments, as well as the industry benchmarking data — which compares companies of similar size — from the participating companies.
The 2012 honorees are:
• Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America, Lansing, Mich.
• AdvoCare Group, Cleveland
• AH&T Insurance, Leesburg, Va.
• American Integrity Insurance Group, Tampa, Fla.
• American Safety Insurance Services Inc., Atlanta
• Amerisure Mutual Insurance Co., Farmington Hills, Mich.
• ARAG Insurance Co., Des Moines, Iowa
• Associated Agencies Inc., Rolling Meadows, Ill.
• Assurance Agency Ltd., Schaumburg, Ill.
• Avalon Risk Management, Elk Grove Village, Ill.
• Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group L.L.C., Glen Allen, Va.
• BMS Intermediaries, Inc./JHIS, Edina, Minn.
• Business Benefits Group, Fairfax, Va.
• Capitol Insurance Cos., Middleton, Wis.
• Chubb Corp., Warren, N.J.
• Daly Merritt Insurance, Wyandotte, Mich.
• Discovery Benefits Inc., Fargo N.D.
• Dubraski & Associates Insurance Services L.L.C., San Diego
• Edgewood Partners Insurance Center, San Francisco
• Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Co., Salt Lake City
• Falvey Insurance Group Ltd., North Kingstown, R.I.
• Financial American Insurance Group, Miami
• GFI Insurance Services Inc., New York
• Gilsbar Inc., Covington, La.
• GNW-Evergreen Insurance Services L.L.C., Encino, Calif.
• GoHealth L.L.C., Chicago
• Gunn Mowery L.L.C., Lemoyne, Pa.
• Hoffman Brown Co., Sherman Oaks, Calif.
• Holmes Murphy & Associates, West Des Moines, Iowa
• Hylant Group Inc., Toledo, Ohio
• The Insurance Exchange Inc., Rockville, Md.
• Insurance Office of America, Longwood, Fla.
• Insurance Program Managers Group IPMG, St. Charles, Ill.
• J. Smith Lanier & Co., West Point, Ga.
• Kapnick Insurance Group, Adrian, Mich.
• Kentucky Employers' Mutual Insurance, Lexington, Ky.
• Liazon Corp., New York
• Lockton Cos. L.L.C., Kansas City, Mo.
• M3 Insurance Solutions Inc., Madison, Wis.
• Maiden Reinsurance Co., Mount Laurel, N.J.
• MarketScout, Dallas
• McGraw Wentworth, Troy, Mich.
• The MGIS Cos. Inc., Salt Lake City
• MHBT Inc., Dallas
• myMatrixx L.L.C., Tampa, Fla.
• The Odell Studner Group, Radnor, Pa.
• Partners Rx Management L.L.C., Scottsdale, Ariz.
• Penn National Insurance, Harrisburg, Pa.
• Philadelphia Insurance Cos., Bala Cynwyd, Pa.
• The Plexus Groupe L.L.C., Deer Park, Ill.
• Poms & Associates Insurance Brokers Inc., Woodland Hills, Calif.
• Precept Insurance Solutions L.L.C., Irvine, Calif.
• Pritchard & Jerden Inc., Atlanta
• Propel Insurance, Tacoma, Wash.
• R&R Insurance Services Inc., Waukesha, Wis.
• Ross & Yerger Insurance Inc., Jackson, Miss.
• Scirocco Group, Hasbrouck Heights, N.J.
• ScripNet Inc., Las Vegas
• Seubert & Associates Inc., Pittsburgh
• SilverStone Group, Omaha, Neb.
• Swingle Collins & Associates, Dallas
• United Heartland, New Berlin, Wis.
• Unum Group, Chattanooga, Tenn.
• West Bend Mutual Insurance Co., West Bend, Wis.
• Wine Sergi & Co. L.L.C., St. Charles, Ill.