Panel of judges selects honoreesReprints
Business Insurance established the Benefit Manager of the Year® award in 2005 to recognize excellence and innovation in employee benefits management. The Benefit Management Honor Roll® was added in 2010 to honor other outstanding benefits professionals. Honorees are selected by a panel of independent judges, including the previous year's winner and benefits experts. Judges for the 2016 awards were:
Kari A. Aikins, assistant director of human resources at Western Kentucky University and a member of Business Insurance's 2015 Benefit Management Honor Roll®.
Amy Bergner, managing director at PricewaterhouseCoopers L.L.P.
Rick Chelko, president of The Chelko Consulting Group L.L.C. and past president of the Worldwide Employee Benefits Network Inc.
Deborah Forbes, executive director of the Committee on Investment of Employee Benefit Assets Inc.
Brian J. Marcotte, president and CEO of the National Business Group on Health.
Bonnie C. Sawdey, senior vice president and chief people officer of Crawford & Co. and Business Insurance's 2015 Benefit Manager of the Year®.
Marty Webb, vice president of benefits at AT&T Inc. and a member of Business Insurance's 2015 Benefit Management Honor Roll®.
The judges scored each nominee according to how well he or she:
• Innovatively and effectively applied benefits programs to solve major problems for his or her organization.
• Exhibited leadership in achieving change within his or her organization.
• Skillfully used technology to administer benefits programs and/or identify and address major problems such as health care cost drivers.
• Established and/or led a benefits communication strategy to effectively inform employees of benefits program changes.
• Developed his or her career and promoted the advancement of the benefits profession.